<Becci's Bungalow>

Becci's Bungalow

My life as an identical twin in our "sunset side" of 50. I'm not "Over The Hill" but I CAN see it from here!

Friday, January 30, 2009







I assumed I would see allot of dogs and cats and even some bunnys & goats with this weeks theme word...but I also assume that EACH and EVERY one of yours is the prettiest and the smartest cat/dog...so I took a bit of a different interpretation of the word "furry" with an original photograph. The last two photos are my twin sister's furry teddy bears and her very furry bear rug she has in her bear collection in California...

My first photo is a furry little hummingbird. My sister's friend, Tami Sigurson, took this magnificent photo of a baby Hummingbird sitting on her two tiny eggs...then I found this amazing video on YouTube that was just too amazing not to include with an original photograph. Amazing that the momma bird stood still long enough to feed her babies, since their wings flutter 1,260 beats a minute! They fly an average of 25-30 miles per hour (mph) and can dive at 60 mph! They visit approximately 1000 flowers a day. Hummingbirds do not mate for life but have a "clutch" of two white eggs producing a brood once a season.

  • Hummingbirds are part of the Trochilidae family found only in the Americas. They are unknown in the Eastern Hemisphere. With 343 species, hummingbirds make up the Western Hemisphere's second largest family of birds.
  • The most astonishing quality of hummingbirds is their ability to broadcast color. Hummingbirds radiate like hot coals in the sun. The color that reaches your eye is created by pigment, which absorbs some colors and rejects others. Like soap bubbles, the hummingbird's color comes from iridescence, not pigment. It winks on and off, depending on the light source and the angle of the viewer. This allows hummingbirds to flash colors or hide them which is useful for males who want to impress females or threaten other males.
  • ♥♥♥PLEASE READ MY POST BELOW, I NEED YOUR HELP!♥♥♥

    32 Comments:

    At 7:47 PM, Blogger Maribeth said...

    Totally awesome!

     
    At 2:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow,... that video is amazing. Love the photos too. Mine was a toss up,...... swing on by. Hugs sis. And thanks for the tag,...... it looks good.

     
    At 5:02 AM, Blogger ipanema said...

    beautiful! i love birds.

    happy weekend! :)

     
    At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love the teddy bear collection. And the hummingbird video is awesome!
    Happy weekend!

    (Sorry, but I'm totally clueless regarding an idea for your costume... but judging from your past "performances" I'm certain you'll come up with another winner. Good luck!!)

     
    At 9:04 AM, Blogger TAB said...

    Very cool!

     
    At 10:29 AM, Blogger Randi said...

    That's gorgeous!

     
    At 6:58 PM, Blogger Patricia said...

    Very lovely post, Becci! Blessings!

     
    At 10:31 PM, Blogger Biker Betty said...

    I love teddy bears and still have the one I had as a child. I've hugged and loved it so much it's actually almost furless, lol. Have a great weekend.

     
    At 11:40 PM, Blogger Photo Cache said...

    I love teddy bears too. How cute is that bear rug! Will wrack my brains for a theme and get back to you. Thanks for visiting my blog.

     
    At 12:01 AM, Blogger tnchick ♥ said...

    Hey!!

    I read *every* comment... I just have a hard time finding the time to visit every single person.

    I do not mind you making tags. I love to make them and use to, a lot. Feel free :)

    I love that bird shot.

     
    At 12:04 AM, Blogger jmb said...

    Great post Becci. The hummingbirds are amazing. But all the teddy bears are cute too. I'll bet all the children who visit her are delighted.

    I have no clue about your costume. You seem to do very well so far. Since the fifties was my heydey, well my late teens and teen early twenties, I should have an idea. I do remember the long skirts but my big memory of the fifties is some of the terrible songs. So maybe you can take a theme from one of them. The one I thought was the most terrible was the Purple People Eater. It actually reached number one on the charts, can you believe?

    I'm sure there is something in amongst those songs which might inspire you. Tutti Frutti?

     
    At 12:05 AM, Blogger Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

    That is an amazing photo of the hummingbird!
    Great photohunt.

     
    At 12:46 AM, Blogger PastormacsAnn said...

    Hummingbirds are my absolute favorite birds! Wonderful picks for The Hunt. (I can't say enough how much I missed you while you were on hiatus.)

    Can't think of anything for your costume. I'll keep thinking.

     
    At 3:42 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

    I love the hummingbird photo. I usually only get to see them at my parents house. They have hundreds each day.

     
    At 4:39 AM, Blogger Dragonstar said...

    The bears are all in fine furriness, and would have made a good enough post on their own. But those hummingbirds... That's an incredible video, thanks so much for finding and showing it!

     
    At 7:06 AM, Blogger Hootin Anni said...

    First Becci....did you come up with a costume for the two of you yet? For Twins Days?

    And, then.....I LOVE the bear rug. I want one. LOL

    Thanks for stopping by. It's always good to see your smiling face dear friend.

     
    At 7:30 AM, Blogger philos said...

    Wow! Those were nice... I particularly enjoyed the hummingbird video... it was ender and heartbreaking at the same time.

     
    At 8:26 AM, Blogger Maureen Hayes said...

    What a great assortment of furry finds!! I like that you did something unique with the theme and the photos are all great!

    Happy Photo Hunt!

     
    At 9:54 AM, Blogger sammawow said...

    Those hummingbird babies are adorable. My parents live in CA and they always have a lot of hummingbirds around their house. Love the teddybear collection!

    Sorry I don't have any ideas for your costumes but will come back if I think of something! :)

     
    At 10:15 AM, Blogger Heart of Rachel said...

    Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I appreciate it.

    We don't have hummingbirds here but I think they are fascinating birds.

    I love your sister's bear collection. that bear rug is absolutely adorable.

     
    At 10:19 AM, Blogger Carver said...

    Great shots and a very interesting post. I love hummingbirds.

     
    At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That birdie is lovely!
    And the furry part is sweet!

     
    At 10:31 AM, Blogger VioletSky said...

    Love your interpretation of furry. So glad you found and included that video as well!

    I'm afraid my imagination isn't nearly as developed as yours to help with the 50's theme.

     
    At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a great collection of Teddy Bears. I collect stuffed animals of all kinds :)Thanks for visiting my blog :)

     
    At 4:26 PM, Blogger jams o donnell said...

    What a delightful take on this week's theme!

     
    At 4:46 PM, Blogger Ice Pony Girl said...

    Big teddy bear rug!

     
    At 6:05 PM, Blogger Tracey@Aloha Monkeys said...

    Very interesting facts about the hummingbird.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. From what I was told, the furry spiders had red hats on their little heads during the Christmas season. I guess the spiders are part of the furniture that changes with the seasons.

     
    At 11:10 PM, Blogger Janet said...

    I love hummingbirds, so pretty and tiny!

     
    At 8:55 AM, Blogger alejna said...

    That was a pretty amazing video, and I enjoyed the hummingbird trivia, too.

    The bears are fun, too!

    Thanks for visiting my own "furry" post.

    As for a 50s costume, I'd probably go for a TV or movie icon. Lucille Ball could be fun.

     
    At 3:06 PM, Blogger Rebecca Mecomber said...

    A fine assortment of furries! The bears are adorable! :) Thanks for visiting my furry Photo Hunt at New York Traveler.net!

     
    At 3:07 PM, Blogger Rebecca Mecomber said...

    Hm, I put in a comment; I think Blogger ate it. :(

    I love your teddies! :) Thanks for visiting my furry Photo Hunt at New York Traveler.net!

     
    At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    my kids would go crazy over your menagerie. cute bears :)

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home